Shirker misses the humanitarian boat
Hindrocket at Power Line points out the irony in the fact that anti-war shirker Pablo Paredes is missing his opportunity to render humanitarian aid to tsunami victims with his erstwhile USS Bonhomme Richard crewmates. (Also noted by Citizen Smash and Marine Corps Mom Deb)
Paredes is a third class petty officer who was assigned to the Bonnie Dick until he resigned, in his words, "like a cabinet member."
I heard him being interviewed on the Roger Hedgecock show during his media blitz last month. And what a strange interview it was.
The questions from Roger and the callers were generally polite but pointed and disapproving. But Paredes was a good speaker. I couldn't tell if he was naturally poised, had been coached, or had just done so many interviews, that he had all his lines memorized. Probably it was a combination of all three.
He made these points:
- He felt the war in Iraq is illegal, therefore his orders to deploy to Iraq were illegal.
- He didn't want to face the fact that some of the Marines headed out with him would be killed during the deployment.
- He wasn't needed for the deployment anyway because he works on the Sea Sparrow missile system. He said the system had never been used in combat so his presence or absence was irrelevant. And he made a snarky remark about the only thing a Sea Sparrow had ever hit was a friendly ship by mistake. (There is a snippet of a report on that incident here.)
- He seemed to have a pretty good idea of what his punishment would be. I don't remember what it was specifically, but it was measured in weeks and months, not years and firing squads.
- He said he could have gone through the deployment and been perfectly safe. Publicly refusing to go was more risky for him.
- He mentioned Vietnam Veterans Against the War specifically, stating that he wanted to start a similar movement now.
All that is probably as hard for you to read as it was for me to listen to. It was really hard to write. If anyone cares to Fisk the list above, email me and I will post it. In the meantime, I'm going to go throw up.
UPDATE: Also covered by Mudville Gazette.