Friday, December 31, 2004

A US Navy Surgeon's Christmas Message

One day a while back I was standing around after church catching up with my friend Dr. J, a US Navy surgeon. The Fallujah attack was in progress and I asked him about his patients. I don't remember everything he said, but it was sad and inspirational, and left a lump in my throat. I've been looking for a way to share it but never found one until I read Dr. J's Christmas letter.

Quoting with permission:
I have had the honor of taking care of many wounded Marines and sailors over the past several months at the Naval Medical Center. Stories of bravery and loss, sacrifice and giving, they are young and some of them have devastating injuries. It is heart wrenching at times, but I never cease to be amazed at the faith, strength, and will of my patients. If you could meet them, I am sure it would inspire and give you hope, as it does me. It would give you the kind of hope only the true meaning of this season can bring, which is Emmanuel -- God is with us. Pray for peace.
As President Reagan was fond of quoting, "Where do we find such men?"